Not Just in Big Cities
- In 2009, more than 170,000 American families spent the night in a shelter
- Families with children are the fastest growing segment of the homeless population.
- 42% of homeless children are under the age of five.
- Poverty, underemployment and lack of affordable housing are the primary causes of family homelessness.
- 51% of homeless people in Michigan are families.
- In Michigan, 1/3 of homeless families are working poor.
- Montcalm/Ionia Counties have approximately 60 shelter beds.
- Currently Montcalm and Ionia Counties offer housing to women and children of domestic violence at RAVE in Ionia and to men, over the age of 18, at GLC Hope Ministries in Greenville.
- Intact families must be separated between the two shelters for housing purposes